This bibliography was created as part of the Local Career Advice Network. It is meant to be a comprehensive list of work in this space. These sources are not vetted or endorsed.
Suggesting a new resource: Please go to the google doc search for the title of the article or author's name before adding a new one. When you add a new source, please link to the article and add the author’s name/username, and a short summary or comments. Feel free to add comments to existing resources.
For other annotated bibliographies, see here.
How to find Jobs
- Cause area online groups
- Attend cause-area or industry-specific conferences
Groups which help job seekers
Mission Collaborative Mission Collaborative is a startup nonprofit in the US that helps people with career change. They have done some intro/promo events for other networking groups.
EA Orgs Hiring/Application Process
Write-ups on the hiring process of various EA organisations. Can give insights on specific organisations, but also hiring processes more generally. Not that some EA organisations may have very different hiring processes than those described below.
- Charity Entrepreneurship’s Application Process
- Takeaways from EAF’s Hiring Round
- Effective Strategies for Equity and Inclusion - Sentience Institute
- Notes on hiring a copyeditor for CEA
- Hiring Process and Takeaways from Fish Welfare Initiative
- Hiring Ethically & Rationally - Aaron Hamlin from Center for Election Science
- Hire with Your Head Book recommendation
Advice from Sofia Davis Fogel (Mercy for Animals):
“My non-EA resume doesn't include the EA talks I've given, because there are a lot of them (it's my entire "speaking engagements" section) and so I think it reveals that my career focus is in something the average reader of that resume doesn't know about/understand. It still includes all my roles at EA or EA-adjacent orgs though, since those look normal to an outside audience I think. Also, not sure if this is relevant since I don't put references directly on my resume, but my references for EA job apps and non-EA job apps are (mostly) different.”
- Ask for example resumes from other EAs
- Get resume feedback from other EAs (you could try posting to the EA Editing and Review group)